Sunday, September 16, 2007

Colin McRae

Colin McRae died yesterday while piloting a helicopter carrying his 5 year old son, another little boy and a good friend. What a tragedy. Colin McRae was 39 years old (my age) and retired from what made him famous.

He was a rally driver and became the youngest ever World Rally Champion in 1995. I'm not sure there is a person in the UK (and with his video games maybe the world) who hadn't heard of the exciting Scottish driver. I'm so sorry for his wife and daughter, left behind. To lose a child and a husband on the same day?

I admit to having a fascination with helicopters. When I was a teenager I wanted to be a helicopter pilot and I once spent a summer being ferried around by helicopters up in Northern Labrador. My time there assured me that although they are incredible machines, helicopters are also amongst the deadliest. People rarely survive a helicopter crash. And because of this the pilots I met were the most dedicated to safety and following rules and regulations that I'd ever met. I am absolutely sure Colin McRae was the same way.

You never know what life is going to throw at you. Be safe, but be happy.

2 comments:

  1. How awful. Our state had a deadly medi-vac helicopter crash 2 years ago.
    I wish peace for his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

    I admit to having a fascination with small Cessna-like planes, though they are no safer than helicopters, really. You just never know when something can go wrong.

    You stay safe and happy as well, Toni.

    ReplyDelete