Friday, October 05, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


Another year has gone by and another winter approaches. There is both a sense of dread and a sense of comfort as each season rolls by. I'm getting older, but I'm not dead. I still don't own a Porsche or a beach house in Ireland. There are no college funds for the kids and if the car breaks down we're walking whatever the weather. But I'm the same dress size as I was twenty years ago. My kids are growing up bilingual, enjoying school and live in a nice centrally heated home. There is food in their bellies and leftovers for the dogs and almost guaranteed Christmas presents under the tree come December.

It is easy to take it all for granted. Easy to look sometimes at all the things other people have and weigh it against your own life. There's a danger there. Always the danger that we forget to really appreciate each day. The health we have at this moment. The love we share. The friends we have made over the years.

I have friends all over the world. It is something I dwell on with both joy and sadness. We don't realize when we're younger that friendships are transient. Life moves us on whether we want it to or not and people branch apart, travel on their own journeys, get on with their own lives. The people I hold as friends are as precious and dear to me as those dreams of hitting the NYT bestseller list. Each time I leave some behind I somehow magically find new ones--special people. Wonderful people. All over the world. All shapes and sizes, genders, sexualities, politics, religions and races.

There is no better gift than friendship.

I lay in bed last night and grinned at DH. I get to spend my life with Gary Anderson. Anyone who knows him knows how blessed I am. He's my anchor in a world of change. The hand to hold. Shoulder to cry on. Man to yell at.

Looking at everything as a whole, life is pretty bloody brilliant :)

Happy Thanksgiving. It is a joy to share my life with such wonderful friends (& family).

----------------
Now playing: Sunshine - Keane
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lovely tribute to friendships. Yes, there will always be things on my list that I will never have, but then again I don't think I'd trade them in for what I do have, and having special people in my life is definitely something I'd never want to give up.

    Yep, life is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni, sometimes I just can't put into words what I want to say, but then I come upon your blog when I was thinking about my friends from the old publisher (smile) and how I've missed being with everyone as a group. So I came here and you so put the words down that I often feel, about getting this far with my health and praising that, even getting through each day one bill at a time no matter how late, because we have each other here. I got a hero as a husband too. We're forever together. And my children, they remind me of laughter during Christmas, that these last two years, we treasure our being together without having the presents, because we have the gift of life. And lastly but not least, I so filled with joy with the friendships and people I have known who we find different ways to keep in touch, even if its through thoughts, they are always close to my heart. I can't always be there, but I am in many ways.

    Thanks for sharing your friendship Toni and hope you had a beautiful Thanksgiving.

    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Toni! Wow. You really put in all perspective. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound as though you have many blessings.
    And friendships, well, you summed it up pretty well. *g*

    Have a nice day and I hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks for being here with me guys :)

    Cathy, so lovely to see you out and about :) It was sad to see trisk fall apart like that, but that is publishing I suppose.

    Each day is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Toni. That was wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

    ReplyDelete