Sunday, January 13, 2008

Steve & Me

I have just sat down and started to read Steve & Me, by Terri Irwin.

The first thing that really moved me was the quote from the bible (which is actually from one woman to another). It's beautiful.
"Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; wherever you go I will go, and wherever you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God; where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if even death parts me from you."(Ruth 1:16-17)
Not everyone approves of that sort of steadfast love, beyond the grave. I've heard reporters comment on it as being 'unhealthy', that Terri Irwin isn't dealing with her grief. Well what the hell do they know. Sheesh.

And what I didn't realize before I opened the book, is the foreword is written by my very good friend Craig Franklin.

He never said.

What you might not know about Craig, (and why would you?), is that he is one of the brightest physiologists/biologists on the planet. He has a brain that leaves mine in this spinning fog (maybe not so difficult since I had kids), and he's always questing for a better understanding of how the world works. He's also gorgeous and a fantastic cook, but we try not to mention it.

Craig doesn't lavish praise on the unworthy. He's solid. Full of integrity. The heart-felt tribute that he wrote in this book only makes me sadder that I never got to meet Steve Irwin, and more importantly, that the world lost, or only had for such a brief time, such a great bloke :)

It also made me think about my life and what I want to achieve. And to realize that hopes and dreams require huge amounts of emotional investment, of self belief, and commitment. The road isn't always easy, but you have to believe in what you are doing. Passionately.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, heartfelt post, Toni. Just beautiful.

    I think everyone handles grief differently, and don't feel there should be a timeline as to when someone goes through the various stages, or in what order. I think that as long as she isn't doing anything harmful to herself or her children, she should be left alone. Yes, we all feel like we lost him that day, but it cannot impact us the way it has her and their children. Personally, I think people (i.e. reporters) who follow others around so closely and invade their privacy are not "healthy".

    I've always believed anything worth having is worth putting your heart and soul into. If you don't fight to have the life you want, you cannot fully appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni, you have such a lovely way of expressing yourself. I think because you embrace your emotions so willingly and have the passion that you speak of?

    I'm glad to have you for my very good friend.

    And yes, the world is a dimmer place having lost Steve Irwin. I wish I could have met him too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand why people are so eager to rush the woman through her grief! 100 years ago, if a woman was steadfast and true to her passed loved one it was understood and even admired. But now, it's considered abnormal.
    Your post was beautiful and I agree fully that the world lost a treasure and a champion of animals with his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post, my dear.

    Follow your dreams, you're talented and brillian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post, Toni. And as for grief, everyone handles it in their own way and in their own time. It isn't something you can post on a calendar and say 'today I'm going to be over it'. She and her husband obviously had a strong bond and that doesn't just disappear because one of them isn't here any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Toni. And what a neat surprise to find that your friend had written the forward to the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete