Friday, February 08, 2008

SEARS experience ruined perfect day

I met the rudest salesman ever today. I was in SEARS looking for a winter jacket for DD (for next year) and there came this announcement over the speakers.

"Come get your free vegetable peeler, worth $5."

Well I ignore the first two announcements, but on the third I was passing the kiosk thing where they were doing the demo. So I stood and watched this guy demonstrate the Euro Gourmet slicers and dicers, which looked fabulous and were really reasonable, but no, I didn't want to buy one because I'd just spent my $30 at the secondhand book fair and really, slicer/ books, books/ slicer? Most people reading this would have gone with the books too, I think. So at the end of this very polished, obviously done-a-million-times spiel, he says, 'So who're the first six people who're gonna give me $30 for all this great stuff?'

And nobody budged. It was quite an impressive statement for people knowing what they actually wanted (i.e. that free $5 veggy peeler that they'd announced without telling everyone there was a demo) and not being pressured. So this guy gave everyone an evil glare, and I mean, a no soul, I-am-a-serial-killer-in-my-spare-time look, and virtually threw veggy peelers at everyone.

I said 'THANK YOU' very loudly, but I almost complained to the manager. He was bloody rude and it ruined a perfect afternoon.

So there.

:(

1 comment:

  1. I would have thrown it back and THEN gone and talked to the manager. But then again, it's after 11:00 pm., I have to get up for work in the morning and I can't sleep - so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete