Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Extras

First of all, this humor might be offensive to some people. Sorry people :) Other people might love it. Hurray!!! :) My hubby and I just started watching Extras and find it so funny. We borrowed the first two seasons from our buddy, Joe, a Canadian, and I was thinking how we always comment how American and British humor is different to one another, but I've no real insight into Canadian humor? Why is that? Does it just get absorbed into the culture of American TV? Probably. I was also thinking that it isn't that no Americans get British humor, and it isn't that no Brits get American humor, but there is a definite difference in the brand of humor we like enmasse.

This was illustrated when I read a NYTimes review of EXTRAS. The reviewer was suggesting that Ricky Gervais (and fellow writers) were ultimately insulting the stars who play cameos on his show, as if these stars were incapable of sending up themselves, or the world they live in. I don't think so. Most people enjoy taking the mickey out of themselves (and generally it is the least hurtful type of humor), and creative people love turning ideas upside down. British humor likes breaking taboos, we like swearing and we like things being a little bit rude--Think, Billy Connelly-- and we like seeing stars. So EXTRAS pretty much has everything. I love it.

10 comments:

  1. See! LOL. There is some differences in American and British humor, but we can definitely learn to appreciate the nuances (which are more subtle, I think, in British humor. We Americans can be so obvious a lot of the time).

    I'll have to check this show out, though I'm booked for trying to keep up with shows. Sounds interesint though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched the videos yet (wasn't sure if should with the kids in the room, but I'll sneak back later...I love a good laugh!)

    And blatant promo opportunity here...if anyone has yet to enter Loreth's contest, the time is tick tocking down...and so is mine which is running in conjunction. I must say the odds for winning mine are fabulous right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    Meretta, probably not a good thing with kids around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, absolutely LOVE Brit humor! Little Britain is one of my fave shows. I watched all the videos and think I loved the Orlando Bloom one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good Mel :)
    I liked Orlando too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good Mel :)
    I liked Orlando too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never even heard of this, but I loved the excerpts! They were funny... I loved "You Shall Not Pass"...lolol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, "Extras" was the best show ever. It was a brilliant show.

    I love British humor. But one of my favor comedies was "SCTV" which was Canadian as well as "Kids in the Hall." A lot of the humor was unique.

    Hope you enjoy "Extras."

    ReplyDelete