Thursday, March 20, 2008

It is the first day of Spring


Well you wouldn't know it! We have snow and ice and -13C windchill. But the days are getting longer and I spotted some soggy brown grass the other day, so we must be warming up.

I'm doing the Discovering Story Magic online course (it really is fabulous, I'd recommend it to anyone).

The kids are deep in Easter preparation at school.

Trying to explain why we celebrate Easter is never easy b/c we have woefully neglected our kids' religious education (that's what happens when a catholic marries a protestant from Northern Ireland--my husband views religion the same way he views venomous snakes).

So, back to the tykes. At Christmas it was 'Who is Jesus?" So we explain that, and a few months later we have to explain why we celebrate the same little baby being crucified as an adult? Not easy for them to comprehend, especially when the message from TV and shops is all about chocolate, and mystical bunnies giving out eggs, and nothing to do with Christianity. Even I get confused as to what it is all about.

When I was in secondary school we had a buddist religious education teacher. She was fantastic. I do believe religion should be taught at school, but not just one religion, a whole host of different ones.

We should also ban chocolate because I'm going to get fat :/

On a more important note...

Happy Birthday, Mom!!!!


----------------
Now playing: Elkie Brooks - Don't Cry Out Loud
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 pm

    happy Birthday Ann
    Have a good Easter , you too Toni and watch that Chocolate !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    The only trouble I had with explaining Easter to my kids when they were small was the utter cruelty brought down upon such a gentle man.

    I hope Spring visits you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Toni's mom!

    Have a wonderful Easter with your family. But please, let's not get crazy. If chocolate were to be banned, there would be a revolt, and I would definitely be leading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter and Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a wonderful Easter! (I'm scarfing down half-priced Easter candy!)

    ReplyDelete