Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Death and Destruction in the Garden

Sounds like a good title for a mystery...hmm :)

Usually we have cankerworms (inchworms) in May, but this year with the late spring (what's an extra month in such a temperate climate--hah!) the worms from hell have only just started dangling from the branches on their sticky threads. The little buggers are everywhere. All over the BBQ, the water barrel, the plants. Every step you take squishes something--ugh. The bike ride to school is like an Indiana Jones movie. We do body checks on each other before we go inside. The dog has green eyebrows that move.

The trees don't like them much either.

We had our trees sprayed today--genocide. What can I say? I'm guilty gov'ner. I'm not sure what the natural predator of the cankerworm is, but come on!!! What is wrong with the animal world?

Everything is late this year. For us it means the cankerworm season will segue neatly into the mosquito season closely followed by the wasp season. I'm pretty sure I'm going to retire to somewhere insectless. Seriously. I'm not sure how I'll combine this ambition with somewhere warm...I'll have to do some exploratory work in the next few years.

The reason I'm so scare is I'm doing edits on Her Sanctuary for The Wild Rose Press. I'm so happy with the editing process there, the writing is so much better now. I'm also deep in plotland for ICEBREAKER, and I did a major edit of OUT OF TEARS which I finished last week. I'm going to send it to my agent next week with all the tweaks (DH is actually reading it--the first time he's read one of my books all the way through--it's a miracle--and he hasn't guessed the killer yet, and he only has 40 pages to go, so...)

I've also painted my daughter's teacher's door at school. I varnished it today (DH laughed because that sort of painting I'm no good at), and it just needs one more coat and I'm done!! We only have this week and next at school so I am on a major countdown to summer holidays. I have so much I want to get done--and so little time. Wish me luck :)




----------------
Now playing: Kenny Chesney - Better As a Memory
via FoxyTunes



3 comments:

  1. That's the one thing I hate about summertime - bugs! We're going to be inundated with mosquitoes this year because of all the rain we've received. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those sound like the army worms we'd get in northern Minnesota. Black and yellow (with greenish blood, ick) they'd invade and eat all the pretty leaves, and when you drove down the road, you could hear the pop and crackle of them being driven over - eww! They literally covered everything, there were so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We already have wasps everywhere. But, because we're in draught here we have fewer mosquitos. But, worms? Ewwwwwww! *G*

    ReplyDelete