Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life in the slow lane

I'm getting some balance between the kids having a good summer holiday and me doing a little writing/ researching/ plotting. The first week we all tore my hair out :) But the kids settled into the idea of relaxing and we've had a bunch of playdates to absorb some of that excess energy. My garden is looking GOOD!

Dh is going to be impressed when he gets back. Seven out of nine flowerbeds look fab, and the other two are controlled disasters where I spread some wildflower seed and then realized I don't know what is weed and what is flower. Ah well.

The mozzies are bad, but getting a little better. I have a friend who is a molecular researcher who works on mozzies. I keep asking him why he hasn't solved the whole mosquito biting thing yet. He says give him $10 million and he'll make it go away. $10 million doesn't sound so much if you ask me... Donations taken here...

And one of the saddest things I've been doing is researching diabetes. I'm reading a fantastic book called 'Cheating Destiny' by James Hirsch. Well written, informative and emotive. I have to admit to being in the dumb majority who assume diabetes is almost cured with insulin whereas now I realize it is only managed. I hadn't even realized type-1 was an autoimmune disease until I read this book. The book outlines research advances and frustrations, gives insights into the medical industry, looks at scientists as individuals, and outlines where funding policies gets in the way of doing actual research. It also talks about people living with the disease--adults and children--and their strengths and personal demons. I can't imagine what parents go through when they first learn about the disease, to take on all the information in one big swallow, while dealing with the reality of glucose monitoring and insulin injections (and whose kid likes needles?) and calculating every little thing their child eats, and weighing it against how active the kids are being and trying to balance that with the changing needs of a growing body. Throw in childhood illness, school, puberty. The pressures must be enormous.

Just thought I'd mention it.

The rates of diabetes (1 & 2) are skyrocketing. Information and support and high-fives for a job well done should be the norm. Don't contribute to the myth that the patients themselves are to blame for getting the disease. Type-2 has contributing factors, but again, information, support and encouragement are needed to help people control this disease. And let's work for a cure.



----------------
Now playing: Low Millions - Eleanor
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

My grandmother has diabetes and so does my dad. I was diagnosed with it two years ago and control it through eating. Mine is probably more genetic than anything, and I worry my daughter might develop it later in life, as well.

The good news is there's lots of research out there and support for diabetics.

Brandy said...

I had gestationsal diabetes that went away after my children were born. At just a temporary condition it was scary. (And I now have a glucose sensitivity when it comes to the tests.) I can't imagine how devastating it must be to parents whose children develope this disease.

Glad to know your Summer is going well!

Rene said...

I had gestational diabetes and it puts me at risk for type 2. However, a great deal of type 2 does depend on life style choices and so far I'm not leaning that direction. Cholestrol on the other hand....

We have very few mosquitos around here although the ones we do have carry west Nile virus. So vector control comes around looking for standing water. We're a little too dry to appeal to the little monsters.

Pop said...

Toni, DH great uncle and aunt had type 1 diabetes, uncle was diagnosed when he was 19 and was insulin injection dependant for years, he died when he was 84 having got a Diabetic Society Certificate having coped with diabetes for 60 years

Stacy~ said...

I'm fortunate - no one in my family, including myself, has it. But I know several people who do. Thank God insulin treatments and monitoring diabetes is so much easier these days.

This is one of the causes I donate to.