Monday, August 11, 2008

GO GREAT BRITAIN


I may have lived here in Canada for the last 4 years, but I still support Great Britain in sports and I always will. Doesn't mean I don't cheer for the Canadians, but it is an afterthought. Even my daughter who is eight is the same.

Go GB!!!

2 gold medals already! First, Nicole Cooke in the road race, and then, Rebecca Adlington snatched gold in the 400m freestyle from the American Katie Hoff. Awesome awesome finish. And Jo Jackson got the bronze.

I can see GB/UK using this Olympics as a springboard for the 2012 Olympics. Sport went downhill for many years in the UK and it is fantastic to see the Brits getting back into it. I'm always a little cynical about the amount of money it costs to put on a games, but with the regeneration of parts of the city (London that is, I don't know about Beijing) and the increase in world class sportsmen/women, which leads to an increase of sporting participation in the general populace, well maybe it is worth it. I hope so.

The big events are still to come.

What's your favorite?

5 comments:

  1. I gotta admit, I love winter olympics more than summer - but that being said, I always enjoyed watching gymanstics.

    Skiing is still my favorite, though. :-) (even though I can't ski to save my life!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know I'm one of the few, but really, the Olympics don't fascinate me all that much. Part of it is that I don't watch a lot of t.v., so I have no real interest. Is that sad or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie S8:01 am

    Well, since the Australians are doing so well, I'd have to say swimming is my favourite, especially as there are a lot of Queensland girls competing - Go Leisel (local Redcliffe girl). However, I do support the British team too. They are doing very well, and I share your sentiments about the Olympics in 2012. I think I'd have to head back to the UK then and try to go to see a few events. I LOVE the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I admit my ignorance here, but who's the gorgeous hunk in the Dunhill ad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry Cavill. Brit :)

    ReplyDelete