Friday, July 31, 2009

I'm Back!!! (AGAIN)

I have given in and moved back to blogger. Sorry. I am a pain in the behind.

So what have I been up to? Most of July was taken up with preparing for and attending the RWA National Conference in Washington, D.C., made possible in part thanks to the generosity of my husband who took a week's vacation to look after the kids and by the MANITOBA ARTS COUNCIL for providing a bit of a grant. Thanks!

It's always exciting to be let out alone. Traveling with family, your focus is on them. Traveling alone, you can people watch and chat to your fellow passengers. I met a man (Scott Glup) who was receiving a national award for his work with land restoration. The woman beside me on the flight home was obviously having an affair with her boss--his wife was also on the plane--and surprised the heck out of me when she threw herself into her husband's(?) arms at the airport. You don't see this stuff when you are balancing juice and crayons.

I arrived in D.C. mid-afternoon and after checking into my room (my roomie LORETH ANNE WHITE was at Quantico, and I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous (repeat and drink gin and maybe I can convince myself)) I went to see the giant pandas in the National Zoo about half a mile up the hill.

I was supposed to meet Rita Henuber for dinner but being a technophile I forgot the whole concept of mobile phones (not having my own) and instead asked about 5 strange ladies if they were Rita?, and then gave up and went to eat. (Note: if you ask for a tall gin & tonic in Washington, you get a pint--I kept making that mistake :).

Then Loreth turned up and all was well with the world. That was Day 1 of my conference.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Toni, I was there.(grin) Everyone, we did meet up the next day and we had so much fun. The most fun for me was actually getting to see the people I'd been talking with online.
    My face still hurts from smiling so much.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita--it was definitely ME, not you, who screwed up :) It was wonderful meeting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. I updated my blogroll and am about to go find you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Diane!! Nice to see you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had fun at the Nationals! What was your favorite part?

    ReplyDelete