Saturday, September 19, 2009

Writer's Block


I don't get writer's block, but there are days when I wander around my house wanting to bash my head off a wall rather than actually writing a complete sentence. BUT it isn't the actual writing. It is the story.

I'm a plotter. If I don't know exactly where I'm going, if I don't know the twists along the way, then I find it very hard to make myself write. I guess this is my personality type, whether baking a cake or conducting a scientific experiment (in my dim and distant past) I like all the steps written out in front of me. I like direction. It doesn't mean I'm inflexible. I can change the recipes or the cook time as needed, and fine tune experiments, but I need the structure as a basis.

So this week I learned (again) that the preparation time is vital to my writing speed and although it means it takes longer to get a project underway, in the long run it is faster.

Anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a total plotter. If I don't plot the story doesn't happen. I also find that the most enjoyable part of the writing. I wish the actual writing of the story was as easy as the plotting...

    ReplyDelete