Wednesday, October 14, 2009

RITA


It took me ages to decide whether or not to enter the RITA. For those who don't know, the RITAs are like the Oscars of romance writing, the Pulitzer of HEA. And, for once, possibly the only once, I can actually enter.

What held me back? Nora. Every year I look at the lists and see Nora Roberts finaling in the 'romantic suspense' category or the 'novel with romantic elements'. And I was thinking about my little book up there against a Nora.

And I felt very small.

Minute.

Minuscule.

And then I thought, 'But I pay my RWA dues'. And I love my story--the first one I ever wrote. And, what if...?

What if it finaled?
What if it won?

Hmmm...

I have heard rumors about authors who are too busy to judge, and who make up the results based on what they expected to read. And I can only hope I don't get one of those. But most judges sweat over their scoring, I know I do, so I decided to give it a go.

In the words of the Irish half of the family, 'You have to be in to win'.

So wish me luck. :)

4 comments:

Rene said...

Good for you! And I wish you the best of luck! You're right, you pay your dues, you have as much right to enter as la Nora.

I don't enter the GH anymore but I do enjoy judging it. I think most judges do enjoy judging and I hope you get those.

MJFredrick said...

Good luck! I entered, too! Would be lovely to final.

Toni Anderson said...

Thanks, Rene :) I enjoy judging too. I love seeing the ones I score high final. Although i scored one low last year and that finaled too. I guess it accounts for personal taste :)

Mary--you too! How exciting :)

Kelly Boyce said...

Best of luck! And remember - David took down Goliath.