Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Great End to 2009

This year has been pretty tough for this Anderson family. I parted from my agent (amicable but agonizing), my husband's workplace was decimated by fire (it will be at least 2 years until he gets back to where he was last year), and our beloved dog died.

The last six months have been spent getting our big trip to Europe sorted and our house in Canada ready for renting. Hubby has been working like a dog trying to get everything organized at work so he can leave for 6 months. Working 5 am-11 pm for almost 2 months with a total of 3 days off, the holidays have hit him with every bug a transatlantic flight and numerous small children can throw at him. Poor baby.


The year, on paper, has been crap.  And yet...

And yet, I'm happy. Not just happy that we're escaping the crazy Winnipeg winter by coming home to Europe (the irony of all this snow is not lost on me). But happy I got to hold my book (HER SANCTUARY) in my hands. Happy I received all sorts of wonderful responses from people I did not expect to enjoy a 'romance' novel. And absolutely thrilled I got to go to Washington DC and tour the White House.

I've written lots and received some encouraging feedback from editors and then, on Christmas Eve, I was offered a contract by CARINA PRESS for a story (OUT OF TEARS) that I wrote about a marine biologist in the Gatty Marine Lab (where I did my PhD, years ago). So the end of 2009 is proving pretty damn good. Here I am, seeing my family for the first time in over 3 years, with nothing to do for the next 4 months but explore France and write.  With my health (touch wood) and my beautiful children and fantastic husband.

The picture on the left is my dog Benn's litter mate Rufus. There were 4 black pups and 2 golden. So it's great to see my dog's family alive and well.

And I get to spend Hogmanay in Scotland.

So HAPPY NEW YEAR when it comes to your corner of the world :)

4 comments:

  1. WOOT! Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude. I had a pretty rough year in 2009 too but I'm like you - determined to look forward and be optimistic and focus on the good stuff instead of dwelling on the bad.

    Congrats on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Toni!! WAHOO!!!!! Carina's offer is the best news I've heard all year! :-) Okay, goes for last year, too, except when I learned I'd finally get a chance to meet you in person.

    Yay, you!!! I'm so proud!!

    Please say hello to France for me!

    lots of love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete