Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Concarneau & Pont Aven

 
Concarneau is famous for Ville Close, a small fortified island just a few meters offshore. It took me a little by surprise.  I wasn't expecting it to be quite so close :)

The clocktower and sundial were designed by Vauban in the 17th Century and within those old city walls lay a treasure of charming houses, tourist shops and resturants. 

 There was a lovely--if hair raising--walk around the ramparts of the city. The kids gave me the heebie-jeebies if they escaped from my hand!

 

 There's a ferry on the far side of the citadel to the fishing port on the mainland.  You can tour a canning factory if you want.  We declined.  :)

 I don't know what else to say really.  It was a beautiful day in a lovely part of France :) 

After that we drove a few miles to Pont Aven, a small town famous for an art school set up by Paul Gauguin. To be honest the art galleries were well out of my price range and I found the local literature a little flowery and full of itself.  But the town was pretty and worth a detour.

There was a beautiful walkway over the river between the back of the houses.  The river seemed to flow beneath the houses...


and my favorite part of the whole place?  The privy :)


4 comments:

  1. very good blog. congratulations
    regard from Reus Catalonia
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to crawl into your pictures and live there. You look like you're having a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toni,

    As another Carina Press author I couldn't resist checking out everyone's blogs, and these photos are fantastic. I second Kelly's comments. I want to crawl into the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :)

    Jenny--thank you for popping in and leaving a comment. I can't wait to read all the Carina Press stories.

    ReplyDelete