Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carina Press Launch...CAPTIVE SPIRIT by Liz Fichera

Hi, Toni! Thanks for inviting me to your blog today.

For everyone else, my name is Liz Fichera. I’m an author from Phoenix, Arizona, and I write commercial fiction. Specifically, I like to write everything from historicals, fantasy, paranormal, mysteries, short stories, and even young adult novels. Most of my stories take place in the American Southwest and often include Native American legends and characters. My latest historical novel, CAPTIVE SPIRIT, was released by Carina Press on June 28 and I’m beyond excited about it. This book was a long time in coming, involved many hours at the Phoenix Heard Museum, and if it hadn’t been for my sister, Mary, I may not have finished it much less submitted it to anyone for publication.

CAPTIVE SPIRIT takes place in the Sonoran desert at the dawn of the sixteenth century. It’s about a young Hohokam Indian woman named Aiyana who’s taken from her isolated village one hot summer night by Spanish traders following a Rain Ceremony. Her best friend and wannabe love interest, Honovi, chases after her and the gang of Spanish thugs who dared kidnap her and destroy their village. Together, she and Honovi must overcome a slew of obstacles to return home and save their village, including greedy traders, neighboring tribes, wild animals, an Indian chief who takes a shine to Aiyana, and even an eclipse. Interestingly, the Hohokam Indians were the original inhabitants of Phoenix, Arizona. Around 1500, at exactly when my story takes place, the Hohokam simply vanished for reasons unknown, making the setting for Aiyana’s story all the more intriguing.

CAPTIVE SPIRIT is filled with suspense, passion, epic themes, and mystery. Aiyana is the kind of character who rises to the occasion against all odds, even though she might not do everything right. I’ve posted a book trailer for CAPTIVE SPIRIT at my web site and on YouTube to give you the flavor of the rugged terrain and the times. Many of the photos in the book trailer were taken minutes from where I live in Arizona. I like to think that Aiyana once looked with wonder at the jagged mountains surrounding Phoenix the same way I do almost 500 years later.

If you’d like to read more about CAPTIVE SPIRIT, the first chapter is available on my web site too. In the meantime, I really enjoy meeting other writers, readers, and book lovers alike. Please feel free to connect with me in the following places. Let me know what you think of CAPTIVE SPIRIT and tell me about your books and fav authors too.

My web site: http://www.lizfichera.com/

My Blog: http://lizficherablog.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Liz-Fichera

Twitter: http://twitter.com/LizFichera

Click here to view the book trailer and the first chapter of CAPTIVE SPIRIT.

And if you have any questions, please ask away! I’ll be here all day.

This from Toni... I'm driving from Vancouver to Winnipeg and can't get to the computer. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Liz for visiting my blog! The first Mills & Boon novel I ever read was set in the Sonoran Desert (Sonoran Sunrise? and I read it when I was about twelve:)

2 comments:

Liz Fichera said...

Hi, Toni!

Safe travels back to Winnipeg and thanks for hosting me today!

I've not read Sonoran Sunrise, but the title intrigues me--at any age! :-)

Claire Robyns said...

Captive Spirit is a must-read for me. It sounds so totally different from anything I've ever read before and I so looking forward to it.
I'm also fascinated by tribes/people that simply vanish into thin air - something must have happened! Makes me sad to think about it.