Thursday, June 10, 2010

Carina Press Launch...IN ENEMY HANDS by KS Augustin

Today, I'd like to welcome KS Augustin to my blog. She's a fellow Carina Press author and something tells me we have a lot in common.


A slice of Malacca with KS Augustin
I've always loved Toni's blog for the wonderful photos she includes and, if I wanted to retain my self-respect, I figured I had to find some halfway spectactular or, at the very least, interesting photos myself! (No complaints from me!! :))

Hi everyone, I'm Kaz Augustin, one of Toni's fellow Carina authors. Unlike most of the other authors, I hail from Malaysia and can even pinpoint the very place where my race was born, circa 1512. (I'm taking the date of 1511 and adding 9 months!) I'm Portuguese Eurasian you see, and we are a small population that originally hailed from Malacca/Melaka, on the west coast of Peninsula Malaysia.



Here's a picture of the historic precinct of Malacca, right next to the river.




The port of Malacca actually dates back to the late 1300s (to put it in perspective, that's when Geoffrey Chaucer was around!), when it was founded by a prince from the island of Sumatra. By the time the Portuguese invaded in 1511, it was already a thriving port, with 50,000 inhabitants from dozens of races, the nexus of lively trade from Arabia to China, all overseen by a formalised port authority structure. Unlike a lot of colonialist races, the Portuguese were encouraged to intermarry with the locals and that's where my ancestors came from. Here you can see a replica of the type of ship the Portuguese used to ply the seas:

It looks quite ungainly because it's a cargo ship. Today, a museum has been made out of the replica and, if you go inside, you'll find it to be surprisingly spacious.




I'd like to say that Malacca is a wonderful tourist town but, to be honest, there's still a lot of work that can be done by the government. In its drive to equate progress with concrete blocks, many historic buildings were either destroyed or in danger of being demolished, a move that has only recently been halted. And although the walk along the river looks very inviting:




a lot more can, and should, be done to bring the magic of the town back to life. Having said all that, though, Malacca is a laid-back, casual place that our family enjoyed visiting and we'll be back in the near future!


Have I retained my honour? (but of course!!! Such an interesting history--I'm impressed) Can I go into the obligatory promo spiel now? ;) (Yes, the history of Malacca would make a wonderful story. Maybe when I'm not so snowed under. Or the way is always clear for a local writer immersed in such a colourful past. I really hope someone takes up this obvious opportunity though, if only to remind people that history didn't just happen in Europe and North America!)


Not that I write history. No, I'm w-a-a-y the other way. My bailiwick is science-fiction romance (SFR) and IN ENEMY HANDS is my release. Just to give you a shock after the previous three photos, here's the cover:



It's the story of a brilliant astrophysicist who finds herself torn between work and love, recognition and justice, ambition and principle.

Srin Flerovs, Moon Thadin’s new research partner, is a chemically enhanced maths genius whose memory is erased every two days. While he and Moon work on a method of bringing dead stars back to life, attraction between them flares, together with the realisation that they are nothing more than pawns in a much larger game.

When Moon discovers the lethal applications her research can be put to, she knows she must rescue Srin and escape the clutches of the Republic. But there are too many walls around them, too many eyes watching. They want to run, but they’re trapped on a military spaceship in the depths of space, and time is running out….


You can find the entire prologue here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=378) and I would be delighted if any of you are tempted to give it a try.


COMPETITION: I'm also giving away two copies of IN ENEMY HANDS at my blog, Fusion Despatches [http://blog.ksaugustin.com]. To be in the draw, stop by and comment at the Competition post, telling me at which blog you read about my book. You have till 30 June!


Thanks for having me here, Toni! Hope I didn't disgrace myself and thanks to all of you for reading what I had to say. (Thanks so much for being here, Kaz. I learned something today and the story looks great! Good luck with your release.)



Kaz Augustin is a Malaysian-born writer of science-fiction, romance, and permutations of the two. Her website is at http://www.ksaugustin.com/ and she blogs at http://blog.ksaugustin.com/ You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter; just look for “ksaugustin”.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Toni, thanks for inviting me! Malacca is only a 3-hour drive from us and the kids keep bugging me to organise another trip. It's an extremely interesting historical town but (and here's where I hesitate) hot as hell. Free sauna treatment anyone?

    ReplyDelete