Saturday, June 19, 2010

Last weekend in Bamfield, Vancouver Island.


One of the things I think about when I come out to remote places, is 'Why do people live here?'  'How did it all start?'  I remember being up in Northern Labrador, during the summer, and thinking WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?  :) 

Turns out Bamfield was a fishing and fur town in the 1800s, although I hesitate to say town.  Don't get me wrong, it is gorgeous (Labrador is gorgeous), but I can't imagine living there full time, when the temperature drops and storms start to boil up through the Pacific to funnel through Barkley sound and land at your backdoor.  But, interestingly, Bamfield was chosen as the Eastern terminus for the trans-Pacific cable which was laid in 1902 and stretched 4000 miles to Fanning Island and then on to Australia, Fiji and New Zealand. 


The cable was guarded during the WWs and there are commemorative plaques to mark the sentry posts.  What great history?  Nowadays Bamfield marks the northern trail head of the West Coast Trail--a famous 5-, 6-day hike which we're going to do a 100th of this afternoon before the Pachena Beach Summer Solstice party.  This area is incredibly beautiful, the nature watching some of the best I have ever seen, and it's beginning to feel like a summer holiday resort with people walking around at all times of day and night.  One major difference is people here (at the Marine Station) never stop working.  Hubby goes out at 7 am and gets back at 11 pm. and that's not unusual.  One prof from Brazil was up for 70h straight to get his experiments done.  Biologists tend to work hard and play hard and I like them better for it :)

Obviously I've been sitting around baking cookies and vaccuming.  Not!

What's the strangest place you've ever visited???

No comments: