Monday, September 20, 2010

Interview with Mary Campisi- author of THE SWEETEST DEAL

Welcome to Mary Campisi (a fellow Wild Rose Press author) who has a fun-looking romance coming out from Carina Press.  Because I'm nosey I asked her a bunch of questions :)  From her answers I think we may be the same person...

Where are you from?  
I grew up in a very small town in northwest Pennsylvania. The population was under 4,000 and you could drive through downtown in less than three minutes – including stopping at the crosswalks. The man who owned the theater also owned the drive-in and would close the theater when he opened the drive-in and vice versa. And don’t think you were going to watch a new release. We had to drive thirty minutes to a big town to do that! We had no fast food places but there was this Tastee Freeze run by a man named Joe that had amazing fries!  

Big family or only child?  
I’m the third child of four, all within a 6 year span. My brothers are both older and I have a younger sister. When the boys wanted to play football or soccer, my sister and I got drafted. She had her front tooth knocked out while she was playing goalie and my brother clocked her. He said the tooth was loose anyway….I once got tackled by that same brother while I was running for a touchdown, even though it was flag football! And when it was snowy, we’d play manhunt and use our dog as tracker. We really had great imaginations and no computers or electronic gadgets. Can you tell?  
(I am also third of four kids spaced close together--it isn't easy :))

Best ever trip? 
Several years ago, my husband and I took a trip to Ogunquit, Maine. I’ve always wanted to see craggy rocks and I read this place had them! Ogunquit is a smallish artist community by the Atlantic Ocean and is filled with beauty and quaintness.  There’s nothing big happening here, at least there wasn’t when we were there, but that’s our kind of vacation. We have enough commotion in our daily lives that when we want to get away, we don’t want timetables and schedules. This was the perfect place to kick back and relax. We saw the most beautiful flowers, spilling from baskets and containers, growing in beds, and along trails. I’m a big flower person so this was especially enjoyable. The water looked cold for September but there were several swimmers who didn’t hesitate to jump right in. I applauded their courage. At night, we ate lobster or fish and on occasion, made our way to the ice cream shop in the middle of town. The highlight of the trip was a whale watching tour we took. I’m not particularly fond of water but I so wanted a chance to do this and I knew this was probably my only opportunity for a long time. I pushed back my fears and got on that boat. Once I boarded, I didn’t think about being sea sick, or scared, or that the boat was pretty small compared to a Beluga whale, or that we were traveling 26 miles out. I didn’t think about any of it. When we reached our whale watching destination, the guide slowed the boat and we waited. The sun shone on the water and cast a haze in the distance. There was no shoreline. It was as close to Heaven on earth as I’ve ever been. Suddenly, from not too far away, a Beluga whale burst through the water. He was huge! He spouted water and went back under with a graceful sweep of tail. It was amazing and unforgettable.
A beluga?  How cool is that? 

Favourite Author?  
 I have several authors I admire and read but my all time favorite is Judith McNaught. 

Favourite Music? 
My very favorite is rock-n-roll and that would be The Rolling Stones, (and Rolling Stones Symphonic), followed by Bob Seger and Fleetwood Mac. That said, I also listen to Rob Thomas, Sara McLaughlin, Enya, Black-eyed Peas, Tom Petty, ACDC, Yanni,, Bocelli –and I love the sound track from The Phantom of the Opera. It really depends on my mood.
I love The Rolling Stones. Used them for my SEA OF SUSPICION soundtrack. I discovered them late, but not too late :)

Favourite Artist?  
Renoir- I have ‘A Little Girl with a Watering Can’ over my fireplace. The painting reminds me of one of my daughters when she was that age. There’s something about Renoir’s work that captivates me.
My mother adores Renoir and I grew up with his pictures on the wall (well, copies). I saw several in the Musee D'Orsay this spring and they are even better in real life.

Favourite Childhood memory? 
On Easter Sunday, before Mass, actually I think it was before breakfast, my sister and I would find our Easter baskets, (they were always hidden), bring them up to our bed and grab the solid milk chocolate baby. We’d start at the head and see how far we could get before it was time for Mass. Solid chocolate only lets you get so far without a break and I think we never made it past the head….

How do you relax?   
Sit on the front porch with a cup of coffee. Read. Spend time in the yard with my flowers- transplanting, cutting back, fertilizing. Press flowers. Walk my lab rescue mix, Cooper, every day – hot, cold, humid, snow, sleet, rain….clears my head, gives us both exercise and lets me think about my next scene. Watch a good movie with my husband or take a ride on the back of his Electra Glide Classic. On occasion, we’ll play Sudoku at Caribou- I know it’s a solitary game but we have fun doing it together- and Text Twist on the computer, but only once in awhile because it’s addicting. I’m a fast typist and can get all the small words, but he gets the big one that takes us to the next level. And once a month, faithfully, I put on Pride and Prejudice and swoon over Mathew McFayden as Mr. Darcy. 
I love your dog!  And I'm a Colin Firth fan, but I totally understand the obsession with P&P :)

Carina Press, September 6:

The Sweetest Deal by Mary Campisi

The Sweetest Deal

An impossible demand...
Max Jernigan is ready to close the most important business deal of his life—all he has to do is agree to one request from Grayson Crowell: impregnate the mogul's daughter.
No way can Max do this. He's a decent guy. But he would love a child. He just doesn't want a wife.
An impossible man...
C.C. Crowell gave up on dreams of a family after Mr. Worse-Than-Wrong broke her heart. Hiding behind spreadsheets, boring suits and an icy attitude, she's more than a little suspicious when arrogant, handsome Max is suddenly chasing her. But she can't deny their chemistry. Until she learns about the deal and plans to pay Max back in kind....



Finally, because it's Monday, don't forget the Author Blog Hop that's kicked off every Monday by Lisa, the California Cheer Mom writer extraordinaire. A great way to meet writers, bloggers, book lovers and generally other people with absolutely nothing else to do on a perfectly good Monday. Seriously, folks, it's fun.

Hop on, authors! Link is provided below:

7 comments:

  1. Hi Toni:

    Thanks for having me here today. I've been enjoying your movie list and actually, I've seen quite a few of these. Gerard Butler? Usually can't go wrong with him. I watched 300 and Attila before Gerard was a craze, or maybe that's how he became a craze?? And A Single Man with Colin Firth is definitely something I want to see- he's always charming:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds interesting, I am currently in sudoku annonymous and i tell my husband text twist helps me as a writer (very unconfirmed theory) and congratulations on your new release

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanna:

    Why is it when I play Text Twist I can get all the rinky dink little words and even most of the larger ones, but the main one often remains elusive? I tell my husband he's only responsible for the word that gets us to the next level. And don't you think some of those words have got to be made up?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, we have almost the identical taste in fav music! Great to learn more about you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent interview, ladies. Mary, congrats on what sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Cooper looks gorgeous. My sister's dog is a retriever/kelpie mix without Cooper's white chest markings. Take a photo of her and Ms Blackness totally disappears. It's owner with Black Blob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following your wonderful blog!

    I am also inviting you to share your site with us at http://olahmomma.com/mylounge and avail of our member benefits, or submit your product deals as a merchant; or as a Non-Merchant, your pre-owned items for sale, trade or just to give away at http://olahmomma.com/sweetdeals.

    My personal blog is http://olahmomma.com where you can visit/follow.

    ReplyDelete