Monday, February 28, 2011

American Idol

I thought I'd weaned myself off American Idol.
Living in France last spring we missed Season 9 and the end of Simon Cowell. When I heard about the new judges I was dubious to say the least. An aging rocker and a Hollywood diva? Come on.
And then I figured I'd PVR it anyway and DH and I sat down to watch it and were enthralled. I love Steven and Jennifer and Randy. Steven Tyler is warm and compassionate and also funny and human. Jennifer seems like a sweetheart full of determination and grit and beauty and talent. I love the dynamics and emotion of the whole thing. And Ryan. I love Ryan.
I think what irritates me about the whole thing is that my preconceptions show just how much we rely on the media for our impressions. I don't believe everything I read, not by a long way. But even my perceptions must be swayed by the headlines even on a subconscious level.
I wonder how I'd come across in the media if they followed me 24-7? TA and her husband row over who walks the dog--AGAIN. The strain beginning to show on the face of TA as she loses control in PriceChoppers. Are the children safe? Another gin bottle found in the trash--when will she enter rehab, for her own sake if not the sake of her poor, innocent babes.
Sigh. I'd look like a looney and I'm just a normal mom.

The talent on American Idol is outstanding. The voices that come out of  mortals blows me away. All those kids and adults who are pursuing their dream. The dogged determination reminds me of writing, except we don't lay our souls on the stage, we lay them on the page. And the rejection is face-to-face at an audition, not buffered by the internet or the mailman. I'm not saying the singing business is harder than publishing. I know I relate to every rejection and every desperate plea for another chance. And I listen to the judges who say 'don't give up your dream, never give up your dreams' and know they aren't just words.
 
I can't sing--well, I can sing, it just doesn't sound good. That's why I'm NOT on American Idol. I can't wait to see who wins this contest!  My money is on...hmm, not sure yet. They're all so awesome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment