Friday, March 11, 2011

Guest Author Emma Lai

Today I invited a fellow The Wild Rose Press author, Emma Lai, to talk about her latest release...
Twice is Not Enough is an erotic Regency. Lady Minerva Peters has spent her life putting her needs last--the result is a string of broken engagements and a future of loneliness. Fleeing her father’s attempt at matchmaking, she enters the library at a ball, but her solitude is interrupted by a couple planning a tryst. Minerva ducks into an alcove, where she encounters a mystery man. As the other couple heat up the room with their passion, she must decide whether to expose herself as a voyeur or embrace the moment and seek her own fulfillment.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve only been writing as a career for two and a half years. However, I have years and years of writing--everything from business materials and academic materials to pieces of fiction. Technically, my first book was written when I was in second grade; my first romance when I was eight.

What's your favorite thing about being a writer?

I love creating worlds, losing myself in another time and place where anything is possible.

You're an engineer? How does that male dominated world compare to the female dominated world of romance writers?

I have a degree in electrical engineering with a focus on computer engineering. At the moment, the only thing I use it for is figuring out how to get the most out of my computer and available software. Though I’ve used past experience in my writing, most notably the first story I had published, His Ship, Her Fantasy.

In all fields, there are both friendly and unfriendly people. As the only woman in a room full of men, I faced derogatory remarks and sexual innuendo. As a writer new to the community, I also received some ‘what do you think you’re doing’ looks, and in romance, there’s always sexual innuendo--but that’s not a bad thing. I’ve never been one to give too much thought to what others think of me personally and keep a friendly face no matter the general mood. I do the best job I can do and let my work speak for itself.

What are you working on now? 

I’m working on adding some material to the third story in my Mates of the Guardians series. I also have a couple of contemporary erotic pieces I’d like to finish and start shopping around.

Thanks so much for joining me today and best of luck with your books :)

Emma can be found at...

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much to Emma for being my guest today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma and Toni. *waves*

    Emma- I'm another one who doesn't dwell on what people think of me. I am who I am, like it or not. :)

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like who you are, guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having me as a guest, Toni. Sorry I'm late, but hubby swept me and baby away for 24 hours technology-free getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah. Yet another thing we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Toni! I like you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, a technology getaway! Nice :)

    ReplyDelete