Monday, May 16, 2011

Author Interview: Maureen Miller

I'm doing a series of author interviews over the summer and I'm starting off with a dear friend of mine who has a release TODAY! Guess what I'm treating myself to for my birthday?

Who are you and what do you write?


I am the one and only, Maureen Ann Miller.  Perhaps there are others, but I am older than dirt so surely I am the first. I was a programmer in the glass and window manufacturing industry, which means that I used to travel the country and install software in manufacturing plants donning a hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, kevlar sleeves and pretty much any item that could potentially make me look less attractive. Nothing says ‘bad hair day’ like a hard hat.

Naturally this sounds like the formula to breed a romantic suspense author, right? And yet, my first attempt to write a novel actually produced a Golden Heart nomination in Romantic Suspense. I thought maybe there was something to this hobby of mine, so I stuck with it. Now I am proud to announce that Carina Press is releasing my romantic thriller, ENDLESS NIGHT this week.

What’s your favourite place in the world to visit?

London. London is like a Mecca for authors. Inspiration surrounds you everywhere−Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Picadilly−all locations that have hosted so many famous novels. But you can’t narrow it down to simply London. Oxford makes you feel more intelligent simply by walking about the campus and the white cliffs of Dover simply humble you. My great uncle was stationed there on D-Day as a medic, waiting for the boats to come back. That image through his eyes will forever be stamped in my head.

Where do you write?

Physically, I write at my desk, yet while I’m writing, I transport into the setting of the book. I am like the director standing there with a cue card in my hand. If you were to pan out on a scene with the hero and heroine engaging in a little tete-a-tete, you could see my desk tucked away in the corner.

How long have you been published or is this your first sale?

This is my first traditionally published novel.

What comes first—characters or the plot?

Ah, the old chicken before the egg debate.  I’m afraid I have to honestly defer with the pathetic answer that it varies per book. Although, that said, I would consider the majority of my stories having been based on the characters initially. ENDLESS NIGHT is about the characters and the plot is woven around them.

Do you write to music? Do you make soundtracks for you stories? If so, what was on the soundtrack for your latest release?

I wish I was talented enough to write music. If my stories were to have soundtracks they would definitely be seascapes. That is what I hear in my head as I am writing them.

If you were a millionaire would you still write?

If I were a millionaire, then life would have come full circle. You begin by writing because it is your hobby and it is your passion. If you are lucky you might even make some money from it. If you are exceptionally lucky you might make enough to actually support yourself. And in one of those rare, miraculous circumstances you may even become a millionaire (or you just married well!). Then you return to what you started with...writing as a hobby and a passion.

Cat or dog person?

Dog person. I always wanted to live on a ranch large enough that I would have to take my horse out to pick up the mail, and when I got back there would be no less than six dogs of various sizes jumping up to greet me until I fall to the ground giggling.

(Me again, Toni :)) Loved the interview! Thanks so much for joining me today. If you want to find out more about Maureen, here are her links...

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today, Toni. And a very happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday, Toni! And congrats to you, Maureen, on your new release. Here's lifting a glass of virtual champagne and wishing you many, many sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your release! I have to agree about character or plot. It's never quite the same twice for me. Wishing you many sales and terrific reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Maureen. Congratulations again on the release of Endless Night. And Happy Birthday, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. COngrats on your release Maureen.
    Very nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new release, Maureen! It's queued up and ready to download.

    And Happy Birthday, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great interview, ladies.

    Congrats again on your release, Maureen. And happy birthday, Toni. Celebrations all round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, ladies. I think I will always remember Toni's birthday from here on out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone. And thanks to Maureen for being here today :)

    ReplyDelete