Saturday, May 21, 2011

Suprise!

I have to tell you a little story about my week. As you might of gathered it was my birthday last Monday. So, we celebrated last Saturday because hubby was out of town from Sunday morning for the whole week at a conference in Ottawa. Monday was pretty quiet: I got 1 card (thank you, Kathy), had to remind the kids *cough* it was my birthday. Made myself a dinner for one (spicy sausage salad) and worked my butt off finishing edits. Presents and cards rolled in throughout the week (thank you, family!!) and on Thursday, after volunteering in the school for the morning, I went to lunch with 2 friends who also have birthdays soon. It was lovely and gorgeous. I figured it was the end of my birthday celebrations.
The week was hectic with soccer, Tue, Wed, Thurs night, and with single parenting I was knackered by Friday. My daughter had decided she HAD to make cupcakes for her class for Friday--I didn't understand why but she wanted to, so, okay. What with soccer and American Idol there was no choice but to get up early Friday to make the cupcakes so I was up at 6.30 a.m. to help her (neither of us are morning people). That evening I had planned a trip to get passport photos and to buy dirt for my pots and maybe treat the kids to dinner out. An exciting time to be sure.
So Friday after school I pick up my son and because it is gorgeous we stay and play for the first time this year. I chat to two of my friends and eventually drag my sweaty son off the structure and start home. He stops me every two minutes in the middle of the street to ask the time and gives me LONG hugs and tell me how much he loves me. Then another friend catches up on her bike to go home with us because she wants to borrow a recipe book. And then another friend passes us on her bike and after a brief hello whisks off to do 'errands'.
My son and his friend take off and when we get to our house all the blinds are drawn. I'm frowning and then I walk in the door and there's silence... and then I notice all these pictures taped to the wall, and homemade paperchains that my daughter had been working on (for school) all week. And then... SURPRISE! Everyone jumps out, the friend I'd just left at the school and her whole family, the friend who'd biked past, and a whole bunch of kids who'd been in on the secret.
It was so lovely. My daughter had made invitations and phoned everyone, then she'd made the decorations in class and I'd made the cupcakes which she'd hidden under her bed for the day. My son and daughter had stashed cans of pop and bags of crisp in all the places I apparently never look, and as I never found anything I suspect they were right :) Then after wine and cupcakes, hubby arrived with more friends. He was back a day early as a special surprise. It was a pretty sophisticated surprise for an eleven year old, and eight year old to pull off. She's the best kid in the world. And so's he :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh how brilliant!! Your kids sound adorable... and very, very sneaky!
    A belated Happy Birthday Toni!
    Best wishes
    Suzy Turner
    http://suzyturner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!! What great kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - that was soooo sweet. And very sneaky! I'm impressed with how much thought and planning went into it all. You might have your hands full with those two when they get a little older :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Suzy. They are adorable and sneaky for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary--they were super. They love a good party too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy--I am thinking I need to reassess my opinion of them. No wonder they asked for an acting camp this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww! A fabulous surprise. Bravo to the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great family. May I adopt you all?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Meretta :)
    Elise, certainly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how brilliant. And what a wonderful family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Toni, how very, very sweet. Thanks for sharing the details of your surprise! What a lovely way to start your weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete