Thursday, June 09, 2011

Guest Author: Hunter Raines


Thanks so much, Toni, for having me here as part of the blog tour for my upcoming Carina Press release, PARADISE FOUND! 

I married a geek. He’ll be the first to admit it, too. My husband is a very handsome man, but he’s not a 6’4, muscular, football-player type. He’s quiet, shy, and unassuming. No one would mistake him for James Bond, or for an underwear model. Yet he’s the inspiration for every one of my heroes.

Sure, the men in my stories are fairly typical of the romance genre. They’re tall, well built, and gorgeous. But underneath those physical elements lies the soul of a real man. And that’s where hubby comes in.

I ask his help constantly when it comes to getting a solid grasp on the way men think about things. I don’t take it for granted that men would approach anything the same way a woman might, whether it’s shopping for new clothes or taking a new partner to bed for the first time. My husband has been instrumental in helping me develop characters who act, talk and think like real men.

I hope. 

Because you see, as much as I’d love to run my books past my husband and get his official stamp of approval on manly behavior, he won’t read gay erotic romance (M/M). I can’t entirely blame him, either. As supportive as he is of me and my writing, the subject matter makes him just a slight bit uncomfortable. And yet he won’t hesitate to describe in vivid detail the men’s locker room at his gym, for example, or what wet dreams feel like.

I write M/F erotic romance under my other pen name, and I thought getting into one man’s point of view was tough. It got a whole lot tougher when I decided to try my hand at the M/M genre. And since my upcoming release from Carina Press is M/M/M, my job was three times as hard.

Luckily, my husband came to the rescue. We talked at length about how each character in my novel might feel about certain things, from hiding a major secret to dealing with feelings of betrayal. What I’ve learned about the way a man’s mind works has been fascinating. As a bonus, it’s helped me understand my husband better, too.
---

BLURB
Paradise is just an illusion…

Or so Philip thinks as he vacations on exotic Anguilla. He should be celebrating the end of law school and the start of his successful career, but he’s tired of living a lie for his family’s sake. For just one night, he lets down his guard with two men he thinks he’ll never see again.
 
He isn’t the only one with secrets. For years, Cameron Drake has suppressed his need for dominance, afraid of hurting his lover, Mark Wilder. But when Cameron’s hand meets Philip’s ass, there’s no more pretending. Mark can’t face his conflicting feelings about the ménage; does Cameron want more than Mark can give?

The three of them may have been perfect together but consequences follow them back to their real lives. Will their desire for another encounter shatter the illusions they’ve built to protect themselves or clear the obstacles to paradise? 

PARADISE FOUND is available at Carina Press, Amazon, and other online retailers.

---
About the Author
Hunter Raines holds an Honors B.A. in English Literature, and is the author of numerous short stories and novellas. When she's not working or writing, she can be found curled up in her library of more than four thousand books, or playing video games with her husband. Find her on her websiteTwitter, and Facebook, or join her Yahoo Group.

8 comments:

  1. I think I might fall in love with your hubby too. What a hero :)
    Fascinating look into writing m/m/m. The story looks wonderful, Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for having me here today, Toni! Yeah, my husband's pretty darn wonderful. I think I'll keep him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on taking on such a challenge! Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your release, Hunter. I love your cover!!! And congratulations on having such a wonderful husband. I think we all like to read about the extremely "hot" hero, but we're all very happy with the guy sitting next to us on the couch at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma - Thanks so much! It was a blast to write.

    Maureen - Isn't that a gorgeous cover? Angela Waters did an amazing job capturing the feel of the story. And you're right about real life heroes. I'll take the one on the couch beside me over Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp any day of the week. :-) (Okay... so Johnny Depp is welcome to join us. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela did mine too, Hunter. She rocks!

    Now sit back and pour yourself some bubbly. Pour Toni some bubbly too for being such a kind hostess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover for ENDLESS NIGHT is absolutely stunning, Maureen. Carina has some of the best covers around.

    As for the bubbly, I'm passing the bottle around to everyone today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bubbly? Springs to attention :)

    ReplyDelete