Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Guest Author: Rae Renzi

Who are you and what do you write? I'm Rae Renzi, and I write contemporary romance, with a bit of adventure and sometimes a hint of the supernatural thrown in.
What’s your favourite place in the world to visit? There are so many great places to visit! Maine, Provence, Tahiti--I love them all. One of my all-time favorite trips was the six-day river-raft ride down the Grand Canyon that inspired the opening scene in my novel RiverTime. Standing at the river's edge and looking up at canyon walls that extend for a mile was simply awe-inspiring. Tracing the passage of eons in the striations of the canyon very clearly demonstrates the scale of human life as compared to time. And the river! Wild and wonderful doesn't begin to describe it.
Where do you write? In some strange quirk of physiology, my feet have to be higher than my derrière for me to write (or so I believe). This is a little awkward in my office when I'm working on science manuscripts, but for fiction, I mostly I write on a sofa (feet up!) or in bed. Not sure what I'd do without a laptop.
How long have you been published or is this your first sale? I've been writing non-fiction for years, but RiverTime, published by Carina Press, is my first work of fiction, and it was so incredibly fun. Makin' stuff up…can't beat it.
What comes first—characters or the plot? I tend to write stories in successive approximations, so the first thing up is usually a mental sketch of a situation, then I fit a character to the situation, and then come up with a plot around these two elements. For example, in RiverTime, I thought of a woman being swept away by a flash flood and stranded in the middle of the inaccessible Grand Canyon, where she meets an equally inaccessible man. Then I went back and created the main character, Casey, to be inquisitive and upbeat, but terrified of publicity.
Who’s your favourite hero? Too many to name (and, of course, one of the great things about being a writer is you get to make up your own favorite heroes!), but for romantic heroes, I like Jamie Fraser, from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. He's unassuming but thoroughly heroic, and so easy to fall in love with.
Who’s on your auto-buy list for authors? I'm an omnivore when it comes to reading, but I'll buy anything by Elizabeth Peters, Shana Abe, Colin Cotterill, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Suzanne Collins, Martha Grimes, Isabel Allende, Steve Hockensmith, Lois McMaster Bujold to name a few.
If you were a millionaire would you still write? If I were a millionaire, I would write more! (because, as a debut author, at this point I am still supporting my writing habit with a full time job).
Cat or dog person? Love them both. Have them both. Just read a fascinating book called Inside of a Dog, written by cognitive scientist Alexandra Horowitz. Wish someone would write a similar one about cats (and horses, cows, foxes, pigs, birds, etc.)

***
Rae Renzi took a convoluted path to writerhood, with stops along the way in field biology, genetics, and cognitive neuroscience. She has authored numerous articles in domains of science, but RiverTime, published by Carina Press, is her debut work of fiction. She loves reading, loves writing, and is always happy to hear from like-minded peeps at www.raerenzi.com.  
RiverTime can be purchased at Carina Press: http://bit.ly/nvbvaT or Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/oAsGJP.

10 comments:

  1. I loved River Time. Couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fascinating to peer into another writer's head. Thanks for the post, Rae and Toni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, ladies. Thanks for sharing. Hmmm ... I wonder if my feet should be higher. I'll retire to my bed and try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview. I too like to have my feet up but figure that is because I'm so short, my feet rarely sit on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another novel for my must read list. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview. And another book to add to the list :)

    I have to be upright when I write or I think I'd fall asleep at the laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rae and Toni! Great interview. Congratulations on the new release, Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for commenting :) I love the sound of RiverTime!
    Susan--I'm also a little short. I have a box to rest my poor dangling feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your release, Rae. I've visited the Grand Canyon a couple of times and have to admit it's an awe inspiring place. The dog book sounds fascinating. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelley--the dog book does look interesting, doesn't it? I've never been to the Grand Canyon. It is on my list!

    ReplyDelete