Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Guest Author: Anne Marie Becker


I'm so happy to welcome a wonderful debut author here today...

SERIOUS ABOUT SERIES

I’ve always enjoyed reading books that are created as part of a series.  If I’m going to immerse myself in a character’s world, I like to hang out there a while and get to know everyone.  And then, of course, I want all those characters I’ve gotten to know to have their happy endings.  So when I started putting my own words to paper, I naturally leaned toward writing overarching plots and subplots that would support a series. 

On September 5th, my debut novel, ONLY FEAR, was released unto the world.  In this story, an organization that, until now, existed only in my mind comes to life for the first time.  SSAM, an acronym that stands for The Society for the Study of the Aberrant Mind, is a group of professionals with various specialties.  Its employees have career experience in everything from computer technology to personal security to profiling serial killers.  That’s the beauty of a made-up private organization.  I can hire anyone I want.  And Damian Manchester, the group’s founder, hires only the best.  He’s dedicated to removing monsters from society.  After all, one of those monsters took his daughter from him years ago.  He’s still hunting her killer, and he’ll eventually catch the monster responsible.  He’s that dedicated.  And I’m that dedicated to the series.  I’m looking forward to helping him find justice over the course of the series.
My editor at Carina Press and I have decided to call this series “the Mindhunters.”  That my publisher is as interested and invested in my characters’ futures as I am is a wonderful feeling.  In ONLY FEAR, Ethan and Maggie find their happy ending.  My second book of the series is almost done, and I can’t wait to start on the next one!

Toni, thank you for having me here today.  I’m thrilled to be your Carina sister! (You're welcome! Lovely to host you :)

Happy reading & writing, everyone,

Anne Marie
 ***
BIO:
Anne Marie has always been fascinated by people—inside and out—which led to degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, and Counseling.  As a games hostess at Sea World, tutor, waitress, personal and family counselor, and high school counselor, she has indulged her curiosity through sanctioned professions.  Now, as a stay-at-home mom of three young children, her passion for understanding the human race is satisfied by her roles as mother, wife, daughter, sister, and writer.  She writes to reclaim her sanity.

Anne Marie’s manuscripts have won several awards, including the 2009 Golden Heart® for Best Romantic Suspense.  Her first novel, OnlyFear, is due out September 5, 2011 from Carina Press.

You can connect with her at:

10 comments:

  1. Hi Anne Marie. Congrats on your release. The book sounds fascinating and I'll be downloading it lickety-split.

    I love books that are part of a series. Sometimes I fall in love with a character and I'm sad when the book ends. If the book is a series, I know I'll be able to revisit that character again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    I really enjoyed reading about your series:)...I like series too:) Like you, if I enjoy the plot and fall for the characters, I want to linger as long as possible.
    I'm trying my hand at a short series at the moment, and finding it quite different:) Things just seem to write themselves in. Things I didn't see coming.But then again, I have a high dose of pantster in me:)
    Your book is very believable...I know a couple of people involved in a few agencies, and it's surprising how they seque into several arena's to gather the information needed. Big Brother is definitely out there, but for the most part, it's a good thing:)
    Congratulations on the new release!
    Lo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that are part of a series too, whether reading or writing them. I always think it's like being at a party when, although you're enjoying meeting lots of new people, there's nothing better than seeing an old friend turn up. :)

    Congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm reading this as an ARC and was hurting my neck I've been straining to catch every word. But... I couldn't get it to download on my Kindle. So I now own Only Fear. The best purchase I've made this month! What a read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Adrienne! Thank you for the kind words, and I hope you enjoy the book! I'm soooo looking forward to writing more in the Mindhunters series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lo! By short series, do you mean 2-3 books, or shorter stories? Other than the Mindhunters series, I'm trying to write a trilogy (I just can't help myself from having linked books - LOL). But now there's a secondary character popping up who intrigues me, and I may just have to make the trilogy four books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly, Shirley! You want to catch up with those "old" friends you met at that other party. Nicely put. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, Donnell - thanks. I hope you enjoy BOTH copies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your release! I enjoy series books. Like you, I want to hang out for a while with characters I love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Georgie - wouldn't it be neat to actually hang out with the characters you love? (On second thought, mine tend to end up in trouble at some point... but they're strong, intelligent people, so I guess I'd be okay.) ;)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete